Help for Children with Learning Disabilities:
Dr. Marty has experience treating children with Autism, ADD, ADHD, Aspergers, and other learning disabilities.
One of the challenges of treating children with a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) is that diagnoses are often not very specific because they are determined from lists of behaviors that could realistically be applied to numerous disorders.
Dr. Marty’s approach is to place less emphasis on a specific diagnosis and focus on helping to control the symptoms of a disorder. The goal is to improve the negative behavioral aspect, academic performance, and concentration.
Diagnoses our patients have often been given include:
- Pervasive developmental disorder
- Asperger syndrome
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder
Parents may note symptoms such as the following as early as infancy and typically, onset is prior to three years of age.
- Difficulty using and understanding language.
- Difficulty relating to people, objects, and events (lack of eye contact or pointing).
- Unusual play with toys and other objects.
- Difficulty with changes in routine or familiar surroundings.
- Repetitive body movements or behavior patterns, such as hand flapping, hair twirling, foot tapping, or more complex movements.